20, April 2014

RMAN and Data Pump which is more reliable? - webmaster forum

Webdigity webmaster forums
[ Home | Help | Search | Forum's Shop | Archive | Login | Register | Webmaster Directory ]
Webdigity Webmaster Forums  >  Web Development  >  Databases
Topic: RMAN and Data Pump which is more reliable?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Instabuck - The easy way to sell digital products online

Author Topic: RMAN and Data Pump which is more reliable?  (Read 4345 times)
Bill Cosby is my Father
28 credits
Members referred : 0

« on: Oct 28, 2010, 12:19:32 pm »

Hi folks !

Plz let me know which is more efficent and reliable in terms of performance and security.

Thanks in advance
I feel pretty...
1120 credits

« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2010, 10:10:46 am »

Never heard of both. What are they for?
Bill Gates is my home boy
4740 credits

« Reply #2 on: Jun 06, 2011, 04:46:08 pm »

Are these two both on backing up and recovering databases? I haven't encountered with this such tools yet.

Affiliate Programs
CPA Network
Affiliate Network

Hunky Junky Monky Man!
438 credits

« Reply #3 on: Nov 12, 2011, 01:06:39 am »

you must use: expdp -help impdp -help to know all the options you can use when you make datapump. For more help,
Bill Cosby is my Father
24 credits

« Reply #4 on: Nov 13, 2011, 11:24:58 am »

Oracle Recovery Manager (RMAN), a command-line and Oracle Enterprise Manager-based tool, is the Oracle-preferred method for efficiently backing up and recovering an Oracle database. RMAN is designed to work intimately with the server, providing block-level corruption detection during backup and restore. RMAN optimizes performance and space consumption during backup with file multiplexing and backup-set compression, and integrates with Oracle Secure Backup and third-party media-management products for tape backup.

RMAN takes care of all underlying database procedures before and after backup or restore, removing dependency on OS and SQL*Plus scripts. It provides a common interface for backup tasks across different host operating-systems, and offers features not available through user-managed methods, such as parallelization of backup/recovery data streams, backup-files retention policy, and detailed history of all backups.
I will send you to /dev/null/
610 credits

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 05:57:11 am »

A rman backup is a physical copy of the database. Expdp is a series of insert statements

Redo log files contain pointers to physical locations in the database

ie

rman backup + (archived) redo log will recover the database until now

impdp can not use redo log, so will reset the database in time.
I am a fanatic. So?
3572 credits

« Reply #6 on: Aug 02, 2013, 11:19:57 am »

Hi..Yes, RMAN and export both backup tables, and they both support flashback database, but there are some important differences:

Data Pump Export (expdp) - The export utility is a "logical" backup, usually done by specifying specific tables.  If you fail to do a "consistent" export, or if you fail to include related tables and use RESTRICTED and CONSISTENT mode (with referential integrity constraints), you may not be able to recover properly.  Export is often used as a supplement to RMAN, usually for the restore of specific tables.

Recovery manager (rman) - RMAN is designed for backup and recovery, a extension of the Enterprise Backup Utility (EBU).  RMAN takes full, physical, consistent backups of your database files..

I am a fanatic. So?
3572 credits

« Reply #7 on: Aug 22, 2013, 11:38:39 am »

A backup performed when the database instance is running is known as online or hot backup. Online backups are very important at customer sites where a database instance must operate 24-hours per day and offline backups are not feasible. During the duration of an online backup, the database remains available for both reading and updating. For this kind of backup, the database must be in ARCHIVELOG mode. Only data files and current control file need to be backed up. Unlike offline backups, the unit of a online backup is a tablespace, and any or all tablespaces can be backed up whenever needed. Different data files can be backed up at different times.

To perform an online backup, you switch the tablespace into ?backup mode? before copying the files as shown in the following example.

ALTER TABLESPACE xyz BEGIN BACKUP;

! cp xyfFile1 /backupDir/

ALTER TABLESPACE xyz END BACKUP;

It is better to backup individual tablespaces than to put all tablespaces in backup mode at the same time. Backing them up separately incurs less overhead. After completing the tablespace backups, it is important to back up the control files as shown in the following example.

ALTER SYSTEM SWITCH LOGFILE; -- Force log switch to update control file headers

ALTER DATABASE BACKUP CONTROLFILE TO '/<directory name>/control.dbf';

The frequency of online backups is inversely proportional to the time taken for recovery in case of a media failure. The older your backup, the more redo log files need to be applied, and the recovery times increases. Backup strategies should be tested before being used to protect a production database.

Borland strongly recommends that you run online backups at times when the database is least accessed, during non-peak hours. Oracle writes complete database blocks instead of the normal deltas to redo log files while in backup mode. This leads to excessive database archiving and even database freezes.

I am a fanatic. So?
3572 credits

« Reply #8 on: Oct 01, 2013, 09:21:48 am »

Release 3.1 continues to expand on SQL Developer's DBA functionality. RMAN, Oracle Recovery Manager, is now part of the DBA navigator. An easy to use wizard takes you through the scheduling of a full database backup. Backups can be stored to disk, tape or a combination. RMAN scripts are generated to restore or recover a whole database, tablespaces, datafiles and archived logs. Reports are available to manage backup jobs, backup sets, image copies and RMAN settings.

Trackback URI for this entry : http://www.webdigity.com/trackback.php?topic=10812
Tags : Rman backup data guard Bookmark this thread : Digg Del.icio.us Dzone more....

Pages: [1] Print 
Webdigity Webmaster Forums  >  Web Development  >  Databases
Topic: RMAN and Data Pump which is more reliable?
« previous next »
Jump to:
User Area
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Apr 20, 2014, 10:55:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Donate to our community, and get a permanent link back to your site!

Donate to our community, and get a permanent link back to your site!

Forum Statistics
Total Posts: 77.976
Total Topics: 13.651
Total Members: 28.717
Tutorials : 58
Resources : 929
Designs : 395
Latest Member: ahmedzahir

316 Guests, 2 Users online :

6 users online today:

Web Design Gallery · Whois Lookup · Pagerank · Tag Browsing · Lo-fi version · Syndication · Webmaster forum history · Advertise
Developed by HumanWorks © 2005 - 2014 Webdigity webmaster community · sublime directory
Webdigity Webmaster Forums | Powered by SMF 1.0.12. © 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.