3, September 2014

Do webmasters need sales training? - webmaster forum

Webdigity webmaster forums
[ Home | Help | Search | Forum's Shop | Archive | Login | Register | Webmaster Directory ]
Webdigity Webmaster Forums  >  Monetizing your site  >  General Business
Topic: Do webmasters need sales training?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Instabuck - The easy way to sell digital products online

Author Topic: Do webmasters need sales training?  (Read 3515 times)
Radical Sales Monster
Computer Avant Garde
430 credits
Members referred : 0

« on: Aug 15, 2008, 04:41:14 am »

Do you lose deals because you timore sales skills? Is marketing your focus and you have trouble closing deals? Is the market too competitive to go after anything but referrals?

Last blog : Sign up for the newsletter and get 40 hours of mentorship
Community Supporter ?
Bill Gates is my home boy
5816 credits

www.chrymo.com

« Reply #1 on: Aug 15, 2008, 06:57:50 am »

I think we do need some sales training, although, I think more on the marketing aspect. I don't have problems sealing deals or anything, more of getting the message across is more to it...

http://www.chrymo.com , Just Visit...
Partners:
http://www.resume-fix.com , Free Resumes

Last blog : Archos: Where are you?
Radical Sales Monster
Computer Avant Garde
430 credits

« Reply #2 on: Aug 15, 2008, 07:07:59 am »

If Nik says it is OK, I have some great posts to share on messaging. Alternatively I would be happy to help you craft a clear message pro bono.

Some immediate advice:

1. Ask your clients why they work with you. Remove any assumptions and ask them what made them decide to hire you and what they like most about you.
2. Craft this into a clear set of triplets. Build 3-4 sets. Example: I worked with you beacuse you built me an easy to follow site that looked great and was up and running in no time = Clean, attractive, fast.
3. Take these triplets and build them into powerful sentences. Have a few. When you talk to prospects use one. Wait for responses...and use another...look for one that hits a core then start asking questions!!!!

Look, the last part of the sauce is paying attention and LISTENING!!! When I start my webTV show I will let you know,

Community Supporter ?
5816 credits

www.chrymo.com

« Reply #3 on: Aug 15, 2008, 07:15:38 am »

Yeah those are great tips, although I am not quite new to writing sales letter or sales cover... The concern is on how to actually go through sales leads, getting them to pay attention and gain their trust... I have a contemporary approach in my business and that is to deliver the best always and finding a compromise if all else fails... Thanks for the tips though, it would add up to my considerations the next time I think of putting up a message across...

Partners:

I am a metal monkey!
Administrator
Community Supporter ?
Jedai Sword Master
46647 credits
Members referred : 3

« Reply #4 on: Aug 15, 2008, 03:11:35 pm »

Are you talking about webmasters, or web designers? I don't think that webmasters need to know anything about sales on the other hand a designer/developer requires to have a good portfolio instead of knowing how to make a sale. Of course some sales lessons wouldn't harm but I think your work is more important.

Trial and Error my two best teachers Cool
Join us @ facebook or twitter

Last blog : Butterfly Marketing 2.0
Radical Sales Monster
Computer Avant Garde
430 credits

« Reply #5 on: Dec 25, 2008, 08:11:13 am »

Good point, what i am talking about is freelancers who need sales skills to achieve their goals.

4449 credits
Members referred : 2

« Reply #6 on: Dec 25, 2008, 05:09:50 pm »

I disagree Nikolas. Every website is created with a purpose. In essence you are selling a good or service or providing knowledge. In all of three you have to prove to website visitors why you are to be trusted or why you are qualified to talk about a particular topic.

I've always believed that an About Me page is as important, if not more important than a homepage. The homepage is like the cover of a book but it is the About Me page that tells why your book is worth reading.

www.yourmessageconsultant.com, providing online content and printed marketing materials.
www.helpforwebbeginners.com, Tutorials and how to's for new  webmasters.
www.CraftyTips.com, a unique Arts & Crafts Directory
www.nocans.com - Pet Food Recipe Site
www.petsiteguides.com - A New Pet Directory

Last blog : Spring Cleaning at Crafty Tips
4449 credits

« Reply #7 on: Dec 25, 2008, 05:17:06 pm »

Designer, be careful of those long sales letters. Seems to me they work best when selling an informational product but not as good when selling a service. With a website designer, I would hope to see a somewhat short homepage that makes it clear what you do and then an extensive gallery page to show that not every site you create uses the same template and just changes the colors and pictures.

The sales letters are also tricky with how they start. I cringe every time I see "Dear Friend". It makes me want to hold on tight to my wallet and seems overly familiar. Yet, in other parts of the world, such an approach works well.

The key to any sales pieces is to KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE. If you don't start there, it won't matter how well you write.

www.yourmessageconsultant.com, providing online content and printed marketing materials.

Radical Sales Monster
Computer Avant Garde
430 credits

« Reply #8 on: Dec 25, 2008, 10:23:27 pm »

YMC,

You are spot on about knowing your audience. You are also correct about information being important. Messaging is a critical part of sales that is often overlooked. When delivering a message, customer benefit and customer experiences are two of the most valuable ways to share.

4449 credits

« Reply #9 on: Dec 26, 2008, 04:54:05 pm »

When I named my business, two people I considered knowledgeable in the field said they didn't like my choice of name. Since then, the usage of crafting a message has become even more commonplace and I am even more convinced I made the right choice.

YMC is short for my company's name, Your Message Consultant. Wink

It has been interesting in my dealings with other companies to see how few realize that all marketing efforts must begin with identifying the audience.
« Last Edit: Dec 26, 2008, 04:55:36 pm by YMC »

Community Supporter ?
5816 credits

www.chrymo.com

« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2009, 10:05:49 am »

I have to agree YMC, too long a sales letter is, the more a bore it becomes. I just reserve long written spiels for my proposals now, and let my portfolio and my work do the talking...

Partners:

I crack Photoshop!
18 credits

« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2009, 02:08:59 pm »

Definitely. Most webmasters are good at technologies but they sucks at marketing and sales skill, so we do need sales training.
Novice Spammer
654 credits

« Reply #12 on: Jun 07, 2009, 03:02:42 pm »

People should focus on doing what they do best. If you want to do freelance, you better be good at more than just programming. You better have good people and networking skills. If you don't, you probably shouldn't do freelance work.
My name is Bong, James Bong
68 credits

« Reply #13 on: Jun 20, 2009, 07:03:54 pm »

I think sales training is for sales representatives, they're more a frontliners, a sales talker. A webmaster is more on making designs and maintains a websites. The work is already your representation and need not to do more on the talking. Smiley
Cyberpunk Wannabe
274 credits

« Reply #14 on: Oct 07, 2009, 06:34:13 pm »

Sure, webmasters need that to break the marketing code
Sandwich Artist
164 credits

« Reply #15 on: Oct 17, 2009, 05:12:11 am »

I think if we have sales traning we should do it fastly and better.
You know more and more technology we do not know, if someone teach us, it is good.
70 credits

« Reply #16 on: Oct 17, 2009, 06:31:55 pm »

not quit though
70 credits

« Reply #17 on: Oct 17, 2009, 07:09:15 pm »

IT depends with the product through....
My Name is Enigo Montoya
198 credits

« Reply #18 on: Nov 27, 2009, 06:15:23 pm »

Web designers need to learn how to sculpt their sites to hold on to the four seconds they have (the usual attention span) so their target audience will stick around long enough to be enticed more and be convinced they need the product/service being demonstrated to them in crisp text, convenient video, and intuitive web navigation.
Nikolas' Servant Child
188 credits

« Reply #19 on: Dec 02, 2009, 10:08:20 pm »

Sadly, I'm a marketing guy but don't know how to sell myself very well. So I would say yes.
Trackback URI for this entry : http://www.webdigity.com/trackback.php?topic=7909
Bookmark this thread : Digg Del.icio.us Dzone more....

Instabuck - The easy way to sell digital products online
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Webdigity Webmaster Forums  >  Monetizing your site  >  General Business
Topic: Do webmasters need sales training?
« previous next »
Jump to:
User Area
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Sep 03, 2014, 06:35:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Donate to our community, and get a permanent link back to your site!

Donate to our community, and get a permanent link back to your site!

Web Design Gallery · Whois Lookup · Pagerank · Tag Browsing · Lo-fi version · Syndication · Webmaster forum history · Advertise
Developed by HumanWorks © 2005 - 2014 Webdigity webmaster community · sublime directory
Webdigity Webmaster Forums | Powered by SMF 1.0.12. © 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.