20, April 2014

SEM vs SEO - webmaster forum

Webdigity webmaster forums
[ Home | Help | Search | Forum's Shop | Archive | Login | Register | Webmaster Directory ]
Webdigity Webmaster Forums  >  Web site promotion  >  Promotion techniques
Topic: SEM vs SEO
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Instabuck - The easy way to sell digital products online

Author Topic: SEM vs SEO  (Read 3951 times)
Cyberpunk Wannabe
244 credits
Members referred : 0

« on: Oct 15, 2009, 07:21:11 am »

What's the difference between Search Engine Marketing (SEM) and Search Engine Optimization (SEO)?
Cyberpunk Wannabe
282 credits

« Reply #1 on: Oct 20, 2009, 07:40:17 am »

Social Media Optimization (SMO):

A set of methods for generating publicity through social media, online communities and community websites. Methods of SMO include adding RSS feeds, adding a "Digg This" button, blogging and incorporating third party community functionalities like Flickr photo slides and galleries or YouTube videos. Social media optimization is a form of search engine marketing.

Search Engine Optimization (SEO):

The act of altering a web site so that it does well in the organic, crawler-based listings of search engines. In the past, has also been used as a term for any type of search engine marketing activity, though now the term search engine marketing is more commonly used as an umbrella term.
I crack Photoshop!
18 credits

« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2009, 10:28:49 am »

Search engine marketing seeks to promote websites by increasing their visibility in search engine result pages (SERPs) through paid placement, contextual advertising, and paid inclusion. Google Adsense is an example. So its kind of affilate marketing
Check this article for more info:
website-promotion-costs.com/internet_promotion_articles/affiliate_marketing.html

And SEO is quite opposed - its using natural and free promotional methods. Examples: free directories submissions, free classifid ads, keyword optimization and so on. In wikipedia there is enough information for this, also internet is full of it.
My Name is Enigo Montoya
198 credits

« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2009, 06:11:33 pm »

My impression is that the broader category for online promotion and visibility would be SEM, and under that would be the SEO strategies.
« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2009, 09:41:34 am by Nikolas »
Supreme Overlord
922 credits

« Reply #4 on: Apr 20, 2010, 07:22:04 am »

Search Engine Optimization is what we call the process of improving the volume and quality of traffic to a website on search engines via organic or natural search results for targeted keywords.

Search Engine Marketing is a form of Internet marketing that seeks to promote websites through the use of search engine optimization, paid placement and paid inclusion.

They are basically the same. Yet SEM might be a  broader term than SEO. SEM practices can include paid strategies.
I wish I was an Oscar winner
600 credits

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 12:56:09 pm »

you can not compare between SEO and SEM bcz SEM have two Parts one is SEO and second is PPC
WebDigity Gangsta
630 credits

« Reply #6 on: Aug 28, 2010, 12:49:07 am »

SEM is the process of getting your site's visibility through the use of paid avenues, such as PPC and email marketing, while SEO is the process of building links to push your website to the top of the search engines. Both, are hopeful in gaining more traffic as an end result.
OMG!I am geek
324 credits

« Reply #7 on: Sep 06, 2010, 06:52:00 am »

Search engine marketing  that uses current search engine technology and marketing techniques to promote a website, increase traffic to the site and elevate its ROI.
SEO strategists work to improve organic rankings in the search engines using a combination of balanced keyword integration, meta tags, link structure modification, backlink generation and high-quality optimized content.
« Last Edit: Sep 06, 2010, 11:31:13 am by Nikolas »
Nikolas' Servant Child
188 credits

« Reply #8 on: Oct 29, 2010, 02:50:33 pm »

A very simple differentiation of SEO and SEM is that SEO is the process to optimize websites and make them search engine friendly while SEM is the marketing of website which involves activities like paid marketing and affiliate marketing as well.
I feel pretty...
1120 credits

« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2011, 08:36:56 am »

SEO is a method of SEM. SEM is of two types one is SEO that is free and other is PPC that is paid technique. both give same results but PPC is faster in results.
I crack Photoshop!
28 credits

« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2011, 12:01:24 pm »

Hey....
1 SEO stands for Search engine Optimization...
SEO includes organic search engine ranking not with the traffic. Includes on page optimization, off page optimization, competitor analysis....... etc
2 SEM stands for Search Engine Marketing....
SEM is not related to ranking its only related to tarffic either paid or free.
Includes analysis for best traffic generating website, cost to advertise on website, finding audience interested in your projects, Country you need to target, ROI analysis.
Where are my glasses?
138 credits

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 08:18:23 am »

hi,

SEM stand for search engine marketing and SEO stand for search engine optimization.I Seo is also a part of sem because sem is the best way of promoting and advertising so i prefer the sem.
Bill Gates is my home boy
4740 credits

« Reply #12 on: Jun 07, 2011, 08:53:09 pm »

SEM is one form of internet marketing that promotes your website. While SEO on the other hand, is the process in which you enhance or enrich your own website.

Affiliate Programs
CPA Network
Affiliate Network

Prince of Darkness
918 credits

« Reply #13 on: Jun 14, 2011, 10:41:42 am »

Social Media Optimization (SMO):

A set of methods for generating publicity through social media, online communities and community websites. Methods of SMO include adding RSS feeds, adding a "Digg This" button, blogging and incorporating third party community functionalities like Flickr photo slides and galleries or YouTube videos. Social media optimization is a form of search engine marketing.

Search Engine Optimization (SEO):

The act of altering a web site so that it does well in the organic, crawler-based listings of search engines. In the past, has also been used as a term for any type of search engine marketing activity, though now the term search engine marketing is more commonly used as an umbrella term.

I agree with you what discussed here about SEO SEM.
Google dot what?
12 credits

« Reply #14 on: Jun 14, 2011, 11:23:25 am »

I believe that SMO is the best way for new websites and blogs to draw visitors. This early success with social media can have long-lasting effects on search engine rankings as well.
What a dork
90 credits

« Reply #15 on: Jul 27, 2011, 03:13:13 pm »

Before promoting any website we need to have a look on behalf of seo parameters, and after having a view on the basis of on page algorithm , we can go for SEM.
I wish I was an Oscar winner
580 credits

« Reply #16 on: Sep 05, 2011, 06:53:50 am »

Wow lot of Information regarding

SEM and SEO

Thanks for sharing
I love Pokemon
84 credits

« Reply #17 on: Dec 20, 2011, 01:34:58 pm »

Search Engine Marketing is a broader term that includes multiple means of marketing your web site online in an effort to increase your web site visibility in the search engines.  SEM includes both SEO and paid advertising. Search Engine Optimization is free (unless you pay a consultant to do it for you.)  It involves getting the right keywords into both your copy and your web page metadata.
Cyberpunk Wannabe
220 credits

« Reply #18 on: Dec 23, 2011, 07:51:15 am »

SEO is used to improve the quality of the site.
SEM is used for internet marketing to promote the site by many paid marketing and affiliate marketing techniques.
What a dork
130 credits

« Reply #19 on: Dec 26, 2011, 12:56:36 pm »

hello
   Thanks for provide me information about this topic because this will help me.
Thanks
Regards
iconweb
Trackback URI for this entry : http://www.webdigity.com/trackback.php?topic=9222
Tags : sEM seo Bookmark this thread : Digg Del.icio.us Dzone more....

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Webdigity Webmaster Forums  >  Web site promotion  >  Promotion techniques
Topic: SEM vs SEO
« previous next »
Jump to:
User Area
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Apr 20, 2014, 10:59:17 am

Login with username, password and session length

Donate to our community, and get a permanent link back to your site!

Donate to our community, and get a permanent link back to your site!

Forum Statistics
Total Posts: 77.976
Total Topics: 13.651
Total Members: 28.716
Tutorials : 58
Resources : 929
Designs : 395
Latest Member: jsky0419

305 Guests, 2 Users online :

9 users online today:

Web Design Gallery · Whois Lookup · Pagerank · Tag Browsing · Lo-fi version · Syndication · Webmaster forum history · Advertise
Developed by HumanWorks © 2005 - 2014 Webdigity webmaster community · sublime directory
Webdigity Webmaster Forums | Powered by SMF 1.0.12. © 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.